Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Technological Leashes and Learning to STFU

Social media is beginning to irritate me. I feel constantly tied to 'social' that it is beginning to feel like too tight a collar made tighter by a technological leash that keeps tugging. Facebook is swarmed with status updates every ten or so minutes, twitter lets everyone know when you breathe or take a shit, and text message is constantly going off as people find it more convenient to text than actually be personal and speak to one another. Why is it necessary to let every person in the world know our every thought?
Yes, I do get the irony of that statement being on a blog but you should also recognize there are many things which I think and feel that I do not feel the need to share. Not that they are unfavorable, but that I-as an individual- deserve something that isn't broadcasted; something that is mine and only mine. If it can't be my thoughts, what can it be?

I know I'm getting irritated when I contemplate deleting some of my Facebook friends because they never seem to STFU. My news feed is constantly swarmed with what causes they are joining, what they are doing, and how they are feeling. It's all fine and dandy to let people know what you are doing with your day but please recognize that not everyone cares you made eggs and bacon for breakfast. At least I don't.

To solve this problem, I think I am going to pull away from social media for a bit. If people want to text me, they can expect a phone call and a planned visit to continue the conversation. As for Facebook, I'm changing it from my homepage and allowing only two visits per day until I get it down to far less than that. The internet is much harder to stray from as my college and research demands it but I will do what I can.

I'm sick of this. Social media seems to be doing little more than making people unsociable.

No comments:

Post a Comment