Sunday, July 17, 2011

Deathly Hallows Part 2 review

(WARNING: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS)

Can I tack on another star and give it five?

I'm not even sure where to begin this review besides saying the movie was absolutely stunning. It begins with a bang and goes out the same way and, for us Harry Potter fans, it's possibly the most satisfying ending you can imagine....well, I still miss Snape but I will overcome with fan-fiction and cookies.
That aside, I think the movie gets it's power by staying as true to the book as much as a PG-13 rating would allow. The movie took it's own creative liberties; most noticeably with the final fight scene, but when it did so, it was just as believable and enjoyable as if they had followed the actual book.
The special effects were done so flawlessly that it was almost difficult to tell the difference between graphics and actuality; the same for the makeup. I have read about some people hating the narrative and dialogue between the characters but I didn't notice any problems with it and, if there is anything I notice, it's language. Believe me- I'm a libra.
The movie lasts about two hours and ten minutes in it's duration but the pace is set so wonderfully that it seems to have all been over much too soon. However, I do feel that this may be partly due to it's lack of in-depth explanation on many things. Many events such as the eyes in the glass or Dumbledore's history with his sister is quickly glossed over in order to get to more important scenes. Someone who had never read the book would still be able to understand everything going on but people who were more familiar with the story would have a deeper knowledge of what these happenings meant. Of course, those events allowed for A to connect to B but they weren't really necessary to dive into for a movie perspective. The only issue I had was the lack of explanation of Luna suddenly showing up at Hogwarts. Out of everything, that's the only problem I have....I think that's saying a lot.
I'm sure I'll be asked about the crying factor and, for that, I have to say not to go to the movie without a tissue. I forgot one and had to settle with DHF's sleeve. Some may have issues with certain characters not getting enough attention when they died but, keep in mind that many of them were minor characters and there isn't enough time to give a Shakespearen death to please every fan. Snape, however, was wonderful. I sobbed as he spoke his last line in life and, a few moments later, sobbed harder at the one sentence answer "Always." Snape had always been my favorite character since book one and, if he had to go, he went flawlessly....and with enough tears from me to drown small children in his honor.

All-in-all, it was epic and you are an absolute idiot if you don't see it in theatres. 3-D is optional but I skipped that option and was still just as satisfied. I just say the theatre thing because, if you are a large a fan as I am and grew up on the books as I had, the final chapter deserves a trip to the big screen. It's how it should be viewed: the big screen, tissues, and your friends or family. You'll need them to hand you more tissues.

1 comment:

  1. And, because people will ask me, no; nobody screamed 'mischief managed' at the end.

    ReplyDelete