Monday, August 8, 2011

Tear Drops and a Mariner's Revenge

THE CONCERT WAS AMAZING!!!!

Oh, my gosh, I don't think there are enough words to describe how utterly amazing it was nor do I think I will be able to relate everything that happened. It's like a happy hodgepodge of awesomeness in my brain. ^_^

I'm not sure where to begin. I guess I can start by saying that I have been to a lot of concerts over the years but this was by far the best and I'm not just saying that because The Decemberists are my favorite band. Many artists will come on stage and say 'Hey, Nashville, you guys rock!' and then pretty much ignore the audience the rest of the time and just do their thing. The Decemberists, however, spoke to the crowd-even so much as responding to things that were called out to them- and made the audience become active in the show. On several occasions, they wouldn't continue playing until everyone was standing, jumping, or dancing. During one song, Colin asked people to get out in the aisles and start two stepping. When no one did, he asked if anyone here even knew how and, when no one responded, he jumped down into the aisle, grabbed a chick, and danced up and down the aisle with her while the rest of the band continued playing. Also, during another song, he jumped back into the crowd and gave his guitar to someone and asked them to do a guitar solo (BTW, Guitar lessons may be in my future).

The concert became more of a play in which everyone had a part. The audience stomped and clapped in rhythm, banged on the seats, and sang along. Everyone was so enthusiastic that they did two encores with one of the songs being The Mariner's Revenge. During this one, the audience was asked that, when the cue was given, everyone was to scream and wail as if they were the ones being swallowed by the giant whale. During that time, DHF and I grabbed hold of each other and screamed at the top of our lungs along with everyone else. During the instrumental part, the entire concert hall was covered in blue light and we all swayed like we were the ocean.

One of my favorite songs they played was This is Why We Fight, a song which reminds us that "freedom cannot be bestowed-it must be achieved" (Roosevelt). Hearing that song live was like a spiritual moment for me. In my truest Christian roots, I even held up my hands as witness :P Looking back, I'm sure I looked silly but heck if I care.

And, because I can't possibly forget to mention this, when they first appeared on stage, I cried. I couldn't believe I was in the same room as Colin Meloy. If you know me, you know how out of character that is for me. I'm snarky and I don't care about celebrities in the least. With this though, it's just different. I couldn't begin to tell you why except that it is and wonderfully so. I cried all through that first song and held DHF's hand and I don't care who knows.


Having DHF there was seriously the best part of all of it though. I am so happy that I was able to experience this with him. Even though this band wasn't his cup of tea going in, he greatly enjoyed himself at the concert and I think his mind changed about them a little bit. It was wonderful knowing my baby was holding my hand through the songs and actually enjoying himself instead of putting up with it for me.

Before we went into the show, we waited in line at the merchandise table where DHF informed me I was to get whatever I wanted. I just asked for one t-shirt. Disappointed in my request, he got me the shirt, a water bottle, and the limited edition poster (which is now sold out). We have plans to get some items off their website along with a frame for the poster.

The songs played:
Oceanside
Down by the Water
Calamity Song
Rise to Me
The Bagman's Gambit
The Soldering Life
We Both Go Down Together
Won't Want for Love
The Crane Wife (1&2)
The Rake's Song
All Arise!
Rox in the Box
This is Why We Fight
The Chimbley Sweep
----
Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye
The Mariner's Revenge
---
June Hymn

Well, I think that's all I can think of to say. Honestly, I'm exhausted today and I think I may curl up for a bit and watch TV. Night y'all :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey carolyn so glad to here you had a great time. wear your t-shirt friday and I'll take pics. I need to get some end of the summer pics of you and jesse any way. have fun.

    ReplyDelete